Whether you are new at camping or have done it for years, pointers are always welcomed. The handy hints for campers listed below should help you in having a practical, fun and safe camping holiday.
* Be sure to consider your neighbours and surroundings at the camping ground. There is a distinct etiquette with camping that allows everyone to enjoy their holiday without creating unpleasant disturbances
* Dig a trench on the 'up' side of the camping spot to divert any water away from your tent
* Ensure you have checked out your tent before departing for the holiday destination. This includes checking for any rips, tears and assuring that you have enough pegs, rope etc
* Fill up your water bottle with hot water before bed, this then acts as a hot water bottle
* If camping in the cold, clothes made from wool or synthetic materials will keep you the warmest - even when wet
* If lighting a camp fire, ensure that there are no fire restrictions in the area. You should also be well aware of the fire regulations
* If you are travelling with kids and the forecast is for rain, pack some board games to keep them entertained
* If you're planning on taking a portable fridge on your camping trip, turn it on and run it for approximately 24 hours before leaving - this will help it be nice and cold when you arrive
* Investigate the likely temperatures you are going to face, especially night-time temperatures. this way you can ensure you have appropriate bedding and clothing to stay warm
* Know the area where you will be staying. This allows you to come prepared for the likely conditions
* Make sure you take the appropriate precautions so that you stay safe on your holiday, this includes such things as beach safety, checking for ticks etc
* Never pack tents or camping equipment away when wet, mildew can attack your expensive gear and destroy it
* Plan ahead with a camping checklist so that you don't get stuck in the middle of nowhere without the necessary equipment
* When setting up your tent ensure that you are not located in an area where water will be directed in heavy rain, or a natural waterway
Have you got any handy camping tips? Share them with Australian Explorer
Australian Explorer has selected a number of camping tours that will be perfect for anybody who loves camping and exploring. If you have always wanted to camp in the Outback why not take a look at our 3 Day Alice Springs camping trip.
Camping Featured Experiences
3 Day Uluru Explorer (EX967)
This is the classic Red Centre tour. Take your time to spend three days exploring the highlights of the area - Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Kings Canyon. This is our longest running tour and it's as good as it ever was! The tour gives you the right amount of time to see everything well.
Can't find what you are looking for? Search from over 4000 Experiences