The village of Cathcart was originally named Taylors Flat when James Taylor moved his stock into the area and squatted on the land. In 1857 the area was surveyed and renamed Cathcart after General Cathcart of Crimean War fame.
The village retains its links with its pioneer past with memorabilia from the era on permanent display at Cathcart Collectables and a pioneer remembrance wall outside the Old Hall. A well sign posted town walk also takes the visitors back in time.
History is also captured in the General Store which still has an amazing array of old advertising posters up on the walls. This same store was operated by members of the one family for over 100 years, its present owners have been operating since 1990.
The village of Cathcart is one of those rare finds, a small rural village steeped in history happily adjusting to changing circumstances.