West MacDonnell Ranges Day Tour
Usually dry riverbeds, vast craggy ochre red sandstone gaps and gorges and tranquil waterholes, make up the spectacular landforms of the West MacDonnell Ranges. The presence of ancient Aboriginal dreaming is always evident in the rugged clefts and chasms. Book this online today and enjoy a day in the West MacDonnells.
This West MacDonnell's tour is one of a kind. You will be busy all day sightseeing and experiencing the true magic of the West MacDonnell's. Enjoy the day with sightseeing and a great lunch.
• Head west on Larapinta Drive alongside the ochre coloured West MacDonnells
• Pass John Flynn Memorial at the foot of the Mt Gillen
• The remains of the twin ghost gums painted by Albert Namatjira.
• Continue to Standley Chasm, a striking red cleft that glows with reflected sunlight
• Walk into the Chasm along the Angkerle Creek bed
• Enjoy morning tea at Standley Chasm
• Ellery Creek Big Hole - take a short walk along a creek bed
• Stop at the Orchre Pits
• Visit Glen Helen Gorge, a semi permanent waterhole
• Enjoy a ploughman's lunch with neer, wine or soft drink
• Visit Ormiston Gorge and waterhole for a picnic lunch
• Time to relax at the waterhole
• A refreshing swim may be possible depending on the time of year
• Make a stop at Simpsons Gap, rich ochre coloured rock walls
• Look for black footed Rock Wallabies along the rocky base
• Look for eagles, kytes and falcons soaring above the West MacDonnells
• Perhaps even meet a local lizard
NOTE: Entrance to Standley Chasm, morning tea and ploughman's lunch with drink.
Alice Springs, Northern Territory | More Alice Springs Tours
NOTE: Unless otherwise specified, the rates listed are for the 2022 - 2023 season. The 2022 - 2023 season rates are valid from the 1st April 2022 - 31st March 2023. The 2023 - 2024 season rates commence on the 1st April 2023.