Maria Island National Park
Sail away to a unique island paradise – a Noah’s Ark for Tasmanian wildlife, spectacular scenery, unique geology and world heritage history. Step back in time, slow down and enjoy a big day out on this island National Park. Maria Island has a diverse range of highlights including convict history, spectacular coastal cliffs and deserted beaches.
ust one hour’s drive from Hobart to the ferry and 30 minutes across the water, brings us to Maria Island – a stunning island National Park. It is rich in local wildlife, amazing scenery and world heritage convict history. We enjoy a series of moderate walks exploring the beautiful Painted Cliffs, the dramatic Fossil Cliffs and the remarkable Darlington World Heritage convict site. With no cars on the island the area is peaceful, beautiful, the pace is slow and relaxed, and the beaches are perfect for summer swimming.
This is a tour for active travellers who are keen to walk and enjoy this unique island. Setting out on foot we have 2 main walking trails for the day, covering a total distance of almost 10 kilometers. Both of our walks are categorised as Great Short Walks of Tasmania. The Painted Cliffs Walk at Hopground Beach feature the beautifully patterned sandstone cliffs. The Fossil Cliffs walk, takes us along to amazing cliffs that drop sheer into the ocean. It offers a fascinating insight into the past environments of Maria Island along with expansive views of the Freycinet Peninsula.
You have an opportunity to swim, photograph and soak up the island life as Maria works its magic on you. Maria Island is a National Park so we are exposed to all that nature will offer on the day, so please come prepared.
The island is a haven for abundant wildlife, it is one of Tasmania’s bird watching hot spots. Wombats can also be seen around the island, as well as Pademelons, Forester Kangaroos, Bennetts wallabies and Tasmanian Devils.
Even the ferry ride is part of the highlights of the day, the waters we cross are also abundant in sea life, we keep our eyes peeled for dolphins, seals and penguins along the way.
Join us on this day of discovery rich in environmental and cultural history.
• Explore Maria Island National Park (6hrs)
• Watch for Dolphins & Whales on the ferry journey (30 mins each way)
• Walk to amazing “Painted Cliffs” and wander amongst the unusual rock formation
• Enjoy spectacular views as we walk to the “Fossil Cliffs”
• Explore and discover the geological history amongst the exposed fossils
• Discover the convict history at the Darlington World Heritage convict site
• Be amazed at the abundant wildlife enjoying life on their extraordinary island
• Return boat cruise to Maria Island
• National Parks Entrance Fees
• Professionally guided and interpreted walks
• Central City Hotel/Hostel pick up and drop off
Hobart CBD, Tasmania | More Hobart CBD Tours
NOTE: Unless otherwise specified, the rates listed are for the 2021 - 2022 season. The 2021 - 2022 season rates are valid from the 1st April 2021 - 31st March 2022. The 2022 - 2023 season rates commence on the 1st April 2022.