Wave Rock, York, Wildflowers and Aboriginal Culture Tour
Out in the wide sky wheat plains, Wave Rock stands as a perfect surfer's wave yet frozen in solid rock. The colonial town of York, set in the lush Avon Valley, tiny wheatlands townships and other strange rocks protruding from arid soil show the real Australia, ever waiting for life giving rains.
Heading east through the scenic Darling Ranges we stop to enjoy morning tea (own expense) at historic York, the first township founded in the Avon Valley. Enjoy the wonderfully preserved turn of the century Victorian buildings and gain an insight into grand old pioneer days.
Continuing east, we pass through sweeping wheat belt plains and stop en route at the famous Dog Cemetery, a tribute to Australian working sheep dogs. Later we reach the small town of Hyden, home of Wave Rock. Before lunch we visit Hippo's Yawn an unusual natural rock formation shaped like a yawning hippopotamus, regarded by the local Aboriginal people as a special “women's place”. Enjoy a picnic lunch at the Wave Rock Wildflower Shop.
After lunch we join an Aboriginal cultural tour of Wave Rock. Walk around and on top of the rock as you hear of dreamtime stories and discover special Aboriginal sacred sites, including Gnamma Holes (water reservoirs) and learn about Aboriginal culture. Estimated at being an incredible 2,700 million years old, the rock has over time been sculptured by nature into the form of a huge breaking wave. Whilst here visit a Wildlife Park featuring Australian animals or alternatively view the unique Antique Lace Collection. Leaving Wave Rock, we head off to view some other intriguing rock formations of the area including the Humps, a camel hump like granite rock and finally Mulka's Cave. Your coach captain will explain the ancient Aboriginal cave paintings featured within it, telling the legend of the outcast Aboriginal, “Mulka the Terrible”.
Our return journey takes us along back roads through the heart of the Western Australian wheat belt to the small farming town of Babakin. Here we enjoy some country hospitality over an afternoon tea (own expense) with local town folk. During the wildflower season (September to November) some of Western Australia's best wildflowers can be seen in this area and roadside stops will be made to view some of the spectacular native wildflowers.
From here, sit back in comfort and contemplate the days experiences before returning through the Darling Ranges giving us elevated panoramic views of Perth's city lights with arrival in Perth at approximately 8.30 pm.
A journey through the Western Australian wheat belt region to Wave Rock, truly one of Australia's most incredible natural monuments. During the day visit the historic township of York and view other significant geological formations of the area.
This tour includes Buffet lunch, admission to Wave Rock and guided tour, admission to the Antique Lace Collection.
• Cross the Swan River Causeway and pass Burswood Casino and Resort
• Head east and follow the sun on to the Great Eastern Highway
• Climb the Darling Ranges and cross vast dry farming plains
• Visit historic York - original and untouched centre of the Avon Valley (brief stop)
• Look for crows, cockatoos and galahs
• Wheat belt town of Corrigin - noted for the "dog in the ute" national record
• Hyden - town centre for Wave Rock
• Striking rock formations of Hippo's Yawn
• Wave Rock - one of nature's most remarkable creations
• Enjoy a lunch at the Wildflower shop
• Take a guided tour along the base and over the top of Wave Rock
• Take time to visit the native wildlife park or browse in the Antique Lace Collection
• Explore the Humps and Mulka's Cave. Learn the story of Mulka and view ancient Aboriginal cave paintings
• Stop at "a remote country town for afternoon tea (own expense)
• During wildflower season (September and October) roadside stops may be made to view native wildflowers
• Journey back to Perth passing endless farms and big horizons
• Superb views of Perth's evening lights from the majestic Darling Ranges
• Admission to Wave Rock
• Antique Lace Collection
• Guided tour
Perth CBD, Western Australia | More Perth CBD Tours
NOTE: Unless otherwise specified, the rates listed are for the 2021 - 2022 season. The 2021 - 2022 season rates are valid from the 1st April 2021 - 31st March 2022. The 2022 - 2023 season rates commence on the 1st April 2022.
Similar Packages on Special
Due to the ongoing and evolving nature of Covid-19 restrictions and the unpredictable impact it is having on bookings we have temporarily ceased taking new reservations for this package. If you have a gift voucher that you would like to redeem please contact us and we will be happy to check availability.