Katherine Gorge set deep within the stone country of Nitmiluk National Park is a dramatic setting. The towering rock wall ramparts above the Katherine River, ancient Aboriginal Dreamtime stories, prolific birdlife and a boat journey into the 'never never' land highlight the grandeur of this spectacular gorge.
Edith Falls cascading down the sheer rock wall face into a paperbark encompassed plunge pool, Pine Creek historic town and the Adelaide River War Cemetery offer amazing contrasts in a powerful outback land.
• Head south out of Darwin on the Stuart Highway
• Endless outback scrub and WWII air strips
• Adelaide River - perhaps a light or cooked country breakfast (own expense)
• Visit Adelaide River War Cemetery - memorial of the Darwin air raids
• Wallabies can usually be seen in this area
• Look for kytes soaring overhead, cockatoos, brolgas and jabirus
• Look for massive roadtrains
• Historic Pine Creek Railway Station and town
• Visit superb Edith Falls there's time for a swim in the waterhole
• Tour the outback township of Katherine - the third largest in the Territory
• Enjoy a delicious buffet lunch at the Katherine Gorge Visitors Centre
• Take a guided 2 hour scenic cruise through Katherine Gorge
• Look for freshwater crocodiles on the banks
• After the first gorge theres a short walk along the side to the second gorge
• Marvel at the stark, sheer, coloured escarpments of the Katherine Gorge canyon
• Look for birdlife and plants along the gorge escarpment
• Stop at Adelaide River for dinner (own expense)
• Perhaps try the local delicacy ' Barra and chips'.
Darwin CBD, Northern Territory | More Darwin CBD Tours
NOTE: Unless otherwise specified, the rates listed are for the 2022 - 2023 season. The 2022 - 2023 season rates are valid from the 1st April 2022 - 31st March 2023. The 2023 - 2024 season rates commence on the 1st April 2023.
Due to the ongoing and evolving nature of Covid-19 restrictions and the unpredictable impact it is having on bookings we have temporarily ceased taking new reservations for this package. If you have a gift voucher that you would like to redeem please contact us and we will be happy to check availability.