Grand Port Arthur Day Tour
Port Arthur is rich in visual history, the Port Arthur Historic Site evokes a powerful sense of our past convict era and of early Australian settlement heritage. Sitting tranquilly amidst English oaks and gardens, Port Arthur is a harsh contrast to the beauty of the Tasman Peninsula. This is a great experience for you and friends to see what Port Arthur is all about. Book Online Today!
Rich in visual history, the Port Arthur Historic Site evokes a powerful sense of our past convict era and of early Australian settlement heritage. And on this tour, with an included walk on the Isle of the Dead, we gain a more powerful insight into the personal life and struggles of the convicts.
Your journey to Port Arthur departs Hobart and crossing the Derwent River. Leaving behind the city, pass ever changing landscape as you skirt the ocean and impressive rugged coastline. At Port Arthur, take advantage of the included walking tours around the main site and Isle of the Dead. Spend time exploring the multitude of restored and ruined buildings and learn of the site's dramatic history.
• Departing Hobart view Government House, home to the governor of Tasmania
• Travel across the Tasman Bridge over the Derwent River, and into the Coal River Valley, an award winning wine producing area surrounding the historic town of Richmond (Oct - Apr).
• Enjoy an orientation drive through this quaint historic town with a short photo stop at the famous convict built Richmond Bridge (Oct to Apr)
• We continue onto the Tasman Peninsula, an area abound with natural bushland, native wildlife and amazing coastal scenery
• Skirt Norfolk Bay on the Tasman Peninsula
• Eaglehawk Neck- stunning rocky coastline
• Doo Town
• Our stop in the Tasman National Park at pristine Pirates Bay, will leave you in awe of the wonderful views, rugged coastline and striking rock formations. A great photo opportunity!
• Arriving at Port Arthur we have approximately 5 hours to soak up the atmosphere of this World Heritage Site
• Visit the Interpretation Centre and follow the harrowing life of a Convict.
• Join a guided walking tour to learn about the many restored buildings and ruins
• See the Penitentiary - a one time granary and flour mill, separate prison, Commandant's House, church and more
• Enjoy a cruise on Carnarvon Bay around the Isle of the Dead,
• See Port Arthur from a different perspective on an “Isle of the Dead” walking tour
• Then back to the Historic Site for free time to purchase your own lunch and explore at your own pace.
• Introductory walking tour by Port Arthur guide (40mins)
• Harbour cruise
• Guided tour of "Isle of the Dead"
• Port Arthur admission
• Free WiFi* on coach
Hobart CBD, Tasmania | More Hobart CBD Tours
NOTE: Unless otherwise specified, the rates listed are for the 2021 - 2022 season. The 2021 - 2022 season rates are valid from the 1st April 2021 - 31st March 2022. The 2022 - 2023 season rates commence on the 1st April 2022.
Similar Packages on Special
Due to the ongoing and evolving nature of Covid-19 restrictions and the unpredictable impact it is having on bookings we have temporarily ceased taking new reservations for this package. If you have a gift voucher that you would like to redeem please contact us and we will be happy to check availability.