Hanging on across Australia in 1968

It was in the good old days, when people would stop & help you if you were stranded.

I was travelling with my Dad & Mum & 3 sisters to WA for work, when suddenly our FJ broke down. One of the truckies stopped & asked if he could help us. As my Dad had some knowledge of mechanics he knew the only help we needed was to be towed to the next town about a hundred miles away.

The kind truckie offered to take us 4 girls with him in the truck & would tow Dad & Mum. Dad & Mum decided that would be safer than having us in the car in case anything happened.

After travelling several miles at a speed they couldn't comprehend, Mum said to Dad "Bert I hope the rope doesn't break, because we didn't get his name & he has our daughters in the truck".

Obviously the rope didn't break, but on arrival in the next town one of the travellers that we had passed earlier in the day, came over to Dad & proceeded to tell him what a stupid idiot he was for travelling at a ridiculous speed & for trying to overtake the truck.

Imagine how he felt, when Dad turned around & said, "mate I wasn't trying to overtake he was towing us & we were hanging on for dear life."

Dad & Mum wish they had taken a number to be able to contact the driver, perhaps he told the story to his family.

We were lucky enough to have many such wonderful trips with our parents.

PHONE : 0405303404

Posted By Deneace Beamish on 14th October 2008

Updated : 17th October 2008 | Words : 269 | Views : 1917 | Comments : 1

RSS Twitter Facebook

1 Comment

1)

TOPIC POSTED BY : Deneace Beamish on 14 October 2008 at 15:06pm

PHONE : 0405303404

Posted By Deneace Beamish on Friday 17th October 2008 @ 16:48:38

Comments

Forum Categories

Travel Classifieds Topics 364 | Comments 385 Post Topic
Travel Stories Topics 189 | Comments 84 Post Topic
Travel Tips Topics 240 | Comments 1136 Post Topic
Travel Trivia Topics 7 | Comments 9 Post Topic
Must Explore Topics 41 | Comments 38 Post Topic
Lonely Explorer Topics 2269 | Comments 5496 Post Topic
Travelling with Technology Topics 18 | Comments 21 Post Topic
Air Activities Topics 14 | Comments 12 Post Topic
Land Activities Topics 23 | Comments 18 Post Topic
Water Activities Topics 24 | Comments 12 Post Topic
Holiday Accommodation Topics 50 | Comments 63 Post Topic

Login to the Forum OR Register FREE

Username or Email Address

Password

Remember Me

The Great WA Road Trip Begins (Ch.1: Perth -> Kalbarri)

My friend and I went on a grand adventure across Western Australia this March! It was incredible. I' . . .

Posted By ruthuntold on 24th May 2017

Views : 1368 | Comments : 0

Are there any Pop-culture travellers out there?!

Hi, My name is Valerie and I am a PhD student. I am a great travel enthusiast, former travel expert . . .

Posted By 21stCenturyWanderer on 7th May 2017

Views : 1137 | Comments : 0

Solo Yolo Road Trip South of Perth

Hey Guys! So just over a month ago I took a solo road trip south of Perth and had an amazing time. . . .

Posted By ruthuntold on 6th May 2017

Views : 1629 | Comments : 1