Driving Stuart Highway - Adelaide to Darwin
I'm from Sweden and me and my friend are looking to go to Australia from October-December. A 6-8 week trip all in all.
A life-long dream for me has been to drive the amazing Stuart Highway from south to north coast and it seems that my dream might come true during this trip!
I have been looking around the internet for information about this and it seems that it's not that complicated to do the run these days. I do have a couple of questions regarding it though that I hope that you can answer for me!
1. I'm 20 years old and have a swedish driver's license. I here that I should just get a International Driver's License that lasts a year to drive in AU. Does this work for all states/areas? Can I rent a car as a 20-year old?
2. Is it possible to rent a car in Adelaide and drop it off in Darwin?
3. What type of car is recommended? Is the drive doable with a regular car or is 4x4 or station wagons recommended?
4. How long do you think the drive will take? (We will most likely stop a day or two in places like Alice Springs and Uluru)Is it doable in 2 weeks without rushing?
5. How much would it cost to rent a car for around 2 weeks? (Not counting costs for gas)
6. How is the safety on Stuart Highway? Is it safe to sleep in the car if needed without risking robbery from roaming criminals?
Thanks in advance!
Posted By aTallroth on 16th July 2010
Updated : 20th July 2012 | Words : 262 | Views : 5177 | Comments : 2
Hey Alex you can also find cars at reasonable price according to your need.
EMAIL : email@example.com
Posted By johnmathew on Wednesday 18th July 2012 @ 15:23:54
Hi Alex you will need a day or two to get over jet lag. The trip you wish to do is a few thousand km. A license covers all states in Australia. rent and drop off in Darwin yes you can but it adds cost to the rental as they have to ship the car back on a truck. 4x4 will give you more place you can go to see and camp.Cost 4x4 ruff guess $1500 can find out for you.Sleeping in car most of the time is safe the advantage of 4x4 you can get off road a bit to camp.Bit more info check out. http://www.incrediblesecret.info/travel
EMAIL : firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted By kelly on Sunday 10th October 2010 @ 11:56:10
Travel Stories Topics 189 | Comments 84
Travel Tips Topics 240 | Comments 1144
Must Explore Topics 34 | Comments 38
Lonely Explorer Topics 2304 | Comments 5612
Travelling with Technology Topics 17 | Comments 22
Air Activities Topics 14 | Comments 12
Land Activities Topics 24 | Comments 18
Water Activities Topics 24 | Comments 12
Holiday Accommodation Topics 50 | Comments 63
18th National Caravan Clubs Rally 2022 update NEARLY 190 registrations have already been received f . . .
Posted By EditorACCSA on 31st May 2020
Views : 128 | Comments : 0
Hello, Looking for an advice which option to take for first time trip to Australia.We have 12 days . . .
Posted By meelistv on 26th February 2020
Views : 150 | Comments : 0
Hello! Planning a trip from Adealide to Uluru with my dogs later this year, any ideas what I can do . . .
Posted By Iggy1988 on 30th May 2019
Views : 551 | Comments : 1