Driving Stuart Highway - Adelaide to Darwin
I'm from Sweden and me and my friend are looking to go to Australia from October-December. A 6-8 week trip all in all.
A life-long dream for me has been to drive the amazing Stuart Highway from south to north coast and it seems that my dream might come true during this trip!
I have been looking around the internet for information about this and it seems that it's not that complicated to do the run these days. I do have a couple of questions regarding it though that I hope that you can answer for me!
1. I'm 20 years old and have a swedish driver's license. I here that I should just get a International Driver's License that lasts a year to drive in AU. Does this work for all states/areas? Can I rent a car as a 20-year old?
2. Is it possible to rent a car in Adelaide and drop it off in Darwin?
3. What type of car is recommended? Is the drive doable with a regular car or is 4x4 or station wagons recommended?
4. How long do you think the drive will take? (We will most likely stop a day or two in places like Alice Springs and Uluru)Is it doable in 2 weeks without rushing?
5. How much would it cost to rent a car for around 2 weeks? (Not counting costs for gas)
6. How is the safety on Stuart Highway? Is it safe to sleep in the car if needed without risking robbery from roaming criminals?
Thanks in advance!
Posted By aTallroth on 16th July 2010
Updated : 20th July 2012 | Words : 262 | Views : 5254 | Comments : 2
Hey Alex you can also find cars at reasonable price according to your need.
EMAIL : firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted By johnmathew on Wednesday 18th July 2012 @ 15:23:54
Hi Alex you will need a day or two to get over jet lag. The trip you wish to do is a few thousand km. A license covers all states in Australia. rent and drop off in Darwin yes you can but it adds cost to the rental as they have to ship the car back on a truck. 4x4 will give you more place you can go to see and camp.Cost 4x4 ruff guess $1500 can find out for you.Sleeping in car most of the time is safe the advantage of 4x4 you can get off road a bit to camp.Bit more info check out. http://www.incrediblesecret.info/travel
EMAIL : email@example.com
Posted By kelly on Sunday 10th October 2010 @ 11:56:10
Travel Stories Topics 185 | Comments 83
Travel Tips Topics 209 | Comments 1155
Must Explore Topics 32 | Comments 39
Lonely Explorer Topics 262 | Comments 805
Travelling with Technology Topics 17 | Comments 21
Air Activities Topics 13 | Comments 12
Land Activities Topics 22 | Comments 17
Water Activities Topics 23 | Comments 13
Holiday Accommodation Topics 33 | Comments 61
Hi all, When the Covid restriction permit I plan on travelling to Austria with my Australian partne . . .
Posted By KenB on 21st May 2021
Views : 131 | Comments : 0
Hi We are planning on driving from Sydney to Margaret River and back with our dogs. Has anyone done . . .
Posted By Leanne1morley on 30th April 2021
Views : 119 | Comments : 0
18th National Caravan Clubs Rally 2022 update NEARLY 190 registrations have already been received f . . .
Posted By EditorACCSA on 31st May 2020
Views : 318 | Comments : 0