New Norfolk is a historic town which used to be called Elizabeth Town until the settlers arrived from Norfolk Island. New Norfolk is 35km northwest of Hobart and lies on the Derwent River.
New Norfolk has been the centre of the hop-growing area of Tasmania for years and some of the original oast houses (kilns) still remain today. An Oast House has been converted into a museum with a gift shop and tea rooms called 'The Oast House Hop Museum'. Located on the Lyell Highway it provides an insight into the processes hop farmers used throughout the Derwent Valley and hosts interesting displays.
Next to the Oast House is the elegant residence of 'Tynwald'. The huge three storey house looks over the Derwent Valley and was first used in the 1800's by one of the districts earliest settlers, John Terry. It has since been extended with an added tower, bay window and verandah.
The Old Colony Inn has a distinctly English feel to it and is thought that it's original structure dates back as far as 1815 when it was a single storey hop cellar. Then during the mid 1830's the building was extended and another storey added. Originally a private home, later a coffee and crafts shop but it is now a popular museum, restaurant and a bed and breakfast.
Up the road from the Old Colony Inn is the famous Bush Inn. The Bush Inn claims to be the oldest continuously licenced premises in the country. This hotel became famous in the 1920's when Dame Nellie Melba sang from its balcony.
The St Matthew Anglican Church was built in the early 1800's and is one of the towns most impressive buildings. It has undergone many alterations over the years and, among other features, now hosts gorgeous stained glass windows.
Approximately 11km upstream from New Norfolk, in Plenty, are the famous Salmon Ponds. The Salmon ponds are settled in charming gardens and well-maintained lawns. Having been open since the mid 1860's there is an abundance of history here too.