Located 69 kilometres south-east of Adelaide, Langhorne Creek was named after Alfred Langhorne, who drove cattle overland from Sydney in 1841, and used land in the district. This was one of the first wine growing districts in Australia, now it's one of the fastest growing.
Vineyards sprawl in all directions on the river's floodplains. As the area is low lying, the roads are sometimes under water when the Bremer River is in winter flood. Flood level indicators along the roadside are marked to show the depth of water flowing across the road. An interesting feature of the district's many vineyards is their utilisation of this natural flooding as a means of vineyard irrigation.
Robust red wines are a feature at several winery cellar doors. Langhorne Creek also hosts an annual jazz festival. A restaurant and bed and breakfast accommodation is available. Frank Potts in 1850, and the amazing giant red gum press, established the oldest winery in the district - Bleasdale's - which is still in working condition.
Destinations within Fleurieu Peninsula
|Other Fleurieu Peninsula Destinations|
|Port Elliot||Rapid Bay||Second Valley|