Situated in a valley surrounded by ranges, Spalding is a pleasant farming town. The nearby Broughton River offers excellent trout fishing and Geralka Rural Farm offers pony rides, hay rides, blacksmithing, working Clydesdales and more.
The Broughton River, the only river to rise and set in South Australia, flows through the area. A popular spot for trout fishers, fingerlings are released into the river on a regular basis. Mining first began in the district in 1858, when the sample showed 50 percent metallic copper and traces of both silver and gold. Mining ceased in the area in the 1920s. William Lunn opened the first business in Spalding in March 1875, a store and post office.