The Valley Inn (also known at various times as the Woolpack and Welcome Inn) was built here in 1832. When purchased in 1870 by the Hon. Geoffrey Eagar,a Colonial treasurer who lived in the Valley had a railway platform named after himself, called Eagar's Platform. The name was changed to the Valley in 1877 and to Valley Heights in 1890.
A steam engine locomotive depot operated here from 1913 until electrification of the railway in 1957. The engines at Valley Heights were not only piloted over the longest distance in NSW, but also had to operate over the longest continual and most steeply graded mainline in Australasia.
Located at Valley Heights is the Valley Heights Locomotive Depot Heritage Museum, here you will find rail heritage displays in the form of maps and photographs of the Blue Mountains; Memorabilia and artefacts including signalling equipment, signs, seating, etc. There are a number of locomotives and carriages on display together with an abundance of historical information about the varied history of the railway line for the Blue Mountain Region and its development over time. The Museum is also the home of the Valley Heights Steam Tramway, offering train rides on selected days of the month.
Temperatures for Valley Heights
Valley Heights has moderate summer temperatures. The summer high temperature for Valley Heights is approximately 28 °c. The summer low temperature is approximately 16 °c.
Valley Heights has mild winter temperatures. The winter high temperature for Valley Heights is approximately 17 °c. The winter low temperature is approximately 6 °c.
|MONTH||LOW °c||HIGH °c|