Yerong Creek was originally named Yerong. The village began in the late 1870's when settlers arrived to assist in the construction of the railway line. Yerong Creek is Lockhart Shire's oldest village. In its early years the name Yerong was incorporated in the titles of the parish, school, hotel and race club. There was one exception however, the railway station.
In 1881 the Railway Department erected a sign on the platform naming the station "Yerong Creek". It was probably the most prominent sign in the town so after a period of several decades the locals gradually accepted the name Yerong Creek.
In 1880 "Yerong" had a population of over 200, and by 1881 buildings consisted of a railway station, a schoolroom, a shanty, a small store and several homes. The following few years saw the addition of the new school and residence. The school served puplis from an area between Culcairn and Uranquinty who were transported each day by train.
In April, 1891, the Roads Department began to make a road through the township. This road started at the railway gates and extended west for 220m to 240m, this section is now known as Plunkett Street. Grubben Station was subdivided between 1908 and 1910, during that decade the township grew steadily.
Two banks became operational. The first stage of the public hall was erected in 1911. This was followed later by several extensions and renovations. The first Post Office was opened. The new two storey hotel was built. With its rustic appearance it is an attractive building and is now utilised as a private residence. About the same time a second general store opened as did a fruit shop and a dress shop.
Three stock and station agents were in business at the one time. A boarding house and a billard room were also in existence. An attraction in the early 1920's was a Paddy's Market. Poultry, produce and old furniture were sold at this market. In Januray 1922, the old Cooee buildings, built by Mr Elkington were burnt down, these premises housed the saddler, the barber, the fruiterer, the baker and the billiard room.
This building was replaced by a brick structure which was completed in 1923, Smeaton and Gain conducted a fuel agency in these premises. Until the mid 1940's those who came to town for supplies and a friendly ale would leave their horses tied up in the allotment where Galvin park is now situated.
Today the Yerong Creek school in Cole Street caters for students from Kindergarten to year 6. The mural painted by former resident artist Gerry Willis on an exterior wall of the school, depicts Yerong Creek railway station as it appeared in years gone by.
Temperatures for Yerong Creek
Yerong Creek has hot summer temperatures. The summer high temperature for Yerong Creek is approximately 30 °c. The summer low temperature is approximately 16 °c.
Yerong Creek has mild winter temperatures. The winter high temperature for Yerong Creek is approximately 13 °c. The winter low temperature is approximately 4 °c.
|MONTH||LOW °c||HIGH °c|