Kongorong is a small township situated in fertile rural area 25 kilometres south west of Mount Gambier.
Kongorong was derived from the local native Boandik Language. Numerous sinkholes and caves are located in the area. It also has a primary school.
The Kongorong area was first surveyed in 1910. The Government acquired land that became the Kongorong District from W.J.T. Clarke, who owned the Mt Schank Station.
In the 1880's, the Benara Council was formed, but it was years later when the first public building was built in Kongorong, and served as the Council Chamber until during 1910's when it served as the school.
Destinations within Far South East