Camping with Dogs
When camping with dogs the owner must take full responsibility for the animal's behaviour. Camping can be a fun adventure for the whole family - dogs included but you should take into consideration the following pointers:
* Always have your dog id-tagged in some way. Often people will make a temporary tag with the campsite/accommodation address on it, in case the dog runs into the surrounding area. Micro-chipping is also a popular option.
* Always pick up and dispose of any dog droppings.
* Ask your vet about the area you are travelling too and see if there are any additional health risks for your dog.
* Be aware of what provokes an angry reaction from your dog and know how to deal with the situation.
* Be sure to keep your dog warm in cold weather (especially dogs with short/thin fur).
* Ensure that the dog doesn't annoy the other campers.
* Ensure you have a good quality leash that will withstand even an agitated dog.
* Even if your dog isn't prone to biting, take a muzzle on holiday with you. With a new environment and other animals in the area your dog may react uncharacteristically.
* If your dog doesn't respond well to humans or other dogs they may not be the best camping companion.
* Make sure the dog doesn't make unreasonable noise, especially at night when others are trying to sleep.
* Pack a rope or chain that you can tie your dog up with around the campsite. If it's long enough your animal will be able to enjoy a wide scope of the campsite but still be safely under control.
* Prevent the animal from jeopardizing the safety of any wildlife or person.
* Taking a bed with you is a great way to make your dog comfortable while away. It always brings a sense of familiarity to the new surroundings.
* You must prevent the dog from defecating in or near a water course.
* Your dog should be fully vaccinated before departing on your camping holiday because they may come into contact with unvaccinated animals.
Share your hints for camping with dogs with Australian Explorer
Featured Pet Bowls Travelling with Pets