Bullocks Flat is located by the Thredbo River and is the location of the Ski Tube, rackrail train which operates to Perisher Blue Ski Resort in winter. Nearby is Bullocks Hut built in 1934 for Dr. Bullock as a fishing lodge. The National Park took ownership of the hut in 1969.
The Indigenous Australian Ngarigo people were the first to inhabit the area. Their lifestyle was disrupted in the 1930s when Europeans first began summer alpine grazing of sheep and cattle. In the 1850s, gold was discovered on the nearby Thredbo River although finds were not extensive.The area is named after Dr. Howard Bullock.