Silos and a towering church spire rising high above golden wheat fields mark the hamlet of Stockwell, at the base of the Barossa Range east of Nuriootpa. A cluster of buildings beside Duck Ponds Creek, the town was founded in 1854 by Samuel Stockwell to support his steam-powered flourmill.
The town was also on the main route to the Murray River and the town's hotel built huge stables with more than 20 stalls, supplying fresh horses to Cobb and Co stagecoaches on their long journey. Still relatively unchanged since its completion in 1867, today the local hotel is still a friendly place for travellers to relax over a good pub meal and a relaxing drink.
Destinations within Barossa Valley
|Other Barossa Valley Destinations|