Tewantin was originally a timber town and has a strong history. In 1869, Tewantin was the river port for the Noosa area. In 1871 Clarendon Stuart surveyed a town site for the Tewantin settlement. Tewantin was a thriving small town with a reliance on the gold, fishing and timber industries.
Tewantin is the location for Noosa Council. An innovative streetscape has made Poinciana Avenue a pedestrian friendly area with a range of shops, restaurants and town square. Noosa Harbour has a regular Sunday market. Distance from Brisbane (State Capital): 165 Kilometres.