Gordonvale, historically a sugar town and today a quintessential Australian country town with courteous storekeepers, well-preserved streetscapes, historic buildings and a great sense of community.
Gordonvale was previously called Mulgrave followed by Nelson. The name Gordonvale was named after John Gordon, a pioneer in the district.
The area was first settled in 1877 by the Alley and Blackwell families who cut a road through to Trinity Inlet so they could haul out cedar logs. By 1880, the road was well-used by miners and packers and they established a Hotel to service the passing trade. After a while, a small town developed.
Near Gordonvale stands the highest free-standing mountain peak in the world (not part of a mountain range). The symmetrical Pyramid is 922 metres in height. From Gordonvale there is access to the Tropical Tablelands via the Gillies Highway, while south the Great Green Way extends south to Mission Beach.